Songs of Love Founder
Songs of Love Founder
About Songs of Love
The Songs of Love Foundation is a national nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that creates free, personalized, original songs to uplift children and teens currently facing tough medical, physical, or emotional challenges, while also fostering a supportive and empowering platform for singer/songwriters to share their unique talents and make a positive impact on the lives of others. Each “song of love” is professionally produced with lyrics containing the child’s name and references to all of his or her favorite activities, things, people, and pets. Songs are written and performed in any language in the musical style that the child likes best (kids, pop, R&B, rap, rock, alternative, etc.), by many talented singer/songwriters. Each “song of love” is delivered pre-loaded on our Song Of Love USB 8GB drive.
As each child is unique, so is every “song of love” composition. Since 1996 the Songs of Love Foundation has reached out to over 41,000 children in over 600 hospitals and healthcare facilities in all 50 states and the world.
There is much focus on raising awareness and money in order to find a cure for a variety of life-threatening illnesses and lifetime disabilities. The immediate needs of children who go through serious medical and physical challenges are often overlooked. The “songs of love” have often been played to alleviate pain and trauma during painful and scary hospital treatments. The song recipients have played their “songs of love” in all kinds of situations and settings such as car trips to the hospital, show and tell at school, for family and friends in person or on the phone, and even for the doctors and nurses. The children have their “songs of love” always available to them whenever they are feeling down.
The Songs of Love History
Walking down the street in early 1996, an idea suddenly came to John Beltzer that would deeply touch many lives. As a way of providing sick children with an ongoing source of comfort and joy, and a therapeutic tool to help with the healing process, he set out to create personalized one-of-a-kind songs for them.
The very first “song of love” was for 5-year-old cancer patient Brittany, a patient at St. Jude’s Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. After receiving her song, her mother put her on the phone, and with the cutest little voice she simply said, “Thank you for my song.” After that defining moment, there was no turning back!
John quickly got busy gathering a team of songwriters and performers from across the country to compose and record the unique songs. The Songs of Love Foundation was founded soon thereafter, the only organization of its kind.
The pool of musical artists who have participated has grown to more than 1000 songwriters, lyricists, instrumentalists and vocalists who have experienced the excitement of being able to give back with the talents they were given. When you take into account that hundreds of schools, companies and charitable groups have lent their voices to children’s songs as well, the symphony includes many thousands of people.
Songs of Love is dedicated to the memory of John’s twin brother Julio who wrote and recorded the composition ‘Songs of Love’ just two months before he died on April 12, 1984. This was his gift to all of us.
Who qualifies to receive a “song of love”?
- Songs of Love writes songs for children between the ages of one and twenty-one (21) who are currently facing life-threatening or life-limiting physical, mental or emotional challenges. Feel free to contact us if you have questions regarding your child’s condition.
How long does it take to complete a “song of love”?
- From the time that we receive the profile, it takes approximately 4 to 8 weeks before the song is delivered to the child. We work our hardest to keep it as close to 4 weeks as possible, but the process may be held up in certain cases. In the event that a song is taking longer than normal to complete, someone from our office will contact you to let you know. We can rush songs in special situations.
How can I request a song?
- You can fill out a profile online at songsoflove.org/request or our Songs of Love App. Visit songsoflove.org/apple or songsoflove.org/android to download the app. For more information call 1-800-960-7664.
Who writes the songs?
- Songs are written by independent singer-songwriters who write, perform and record music in all different styles and languages, including but not limited to pop, country, hip-hop and children’s music.
Can I be a songwriter?
- Songs of Love works with professional songwriters in all genres and languages. We are ideally looking for someone who can write the lyrics and music, perform and produce their own. This helps us streamline our operation, and ensure that every song is of a similar quality and delivered in a timely fashion.
How much does it cost to have a song written for my child?
- There is never a cost to the immediate families or medical facilities. Any efforts on the part of the family members to make contributions and/or help with fundraising is purely voluntary as part of our Music Messenger/Song Sponsor Program™.
Can Songs of Love write a song for an ill child’s siblings, or for a child who has already passed away?
- Songs of Love’s mission is to create free songs for children who are struggling with medical, physical or emotional challenges at the time a “song of love” is requested, and is unfortunately unable to create songs for the siblings or for children who pass away before requesting a song. However, whenever we are given the names of the siblings we always include them in the song so it is a thrill for them as well.
How can I get involved?
- Find out about the many ways to help the Songs of Love Foundation above.